Saturday, April 21

My first complaint letter (outside of what we required to write in Poly)

21st April 2007

Corporate Communications Department
251 North Bridge Road
Singapore 179102

Re: Bus-driver of 852 (No: TIB1011U) to Bukit Batok Interchange on 21st April 2007

Dear Sir/ Ma’am

On 21st April 2007 at 3.15PM, I boarded the 852 bus that was on route to Bukit Batok Interchange at the bus stop in front of Serene Centre. The bus arrived at Bukit Batok Interchange at around 3.40PM. The license plate number of the bus that I board was TIB1011U.

Till now, I am irate that this incident happened to me. When the bus was flagged down, there were three passengers waiting to get onboard the bus. I was the third person waiting in line. Standing closely behind the second passenger, I have my right foot on the first step of the bus, wanting to get on, when the male Indian bus driver closed the door on me.

He had my foot trapped between the doors. In pain, I banged on the panel of the doors trying to get him to release the door so that I can get my foot out. I have to presume he know I was there in front of the door as he was looking in my direction. To my shock and horror, the bus jerked as if it was about to be driven away. Due to the jerk, I lost my balance and fell to the ground landing on my behind and palm. This definitely worsened the situation that I was in. I was on the ground of the bus stop in an extremely awkward position with my right foot extended out and up trapped between the doors. Luckily, a lady waiting for her bus at the stop saw my prediction and quickly stepped forward and banged very loudly on the door. The door was only opened after another fifteen seconds, finally freeing my leg.

Firstly, I have to express my extreme irritation and disappointment at the bus driver. From the very beginning, this incident should not have happened. I was clearly standing behind the second passenger waiting to get onboard. I am certain I did not give off any signals that I have no intention to board the bus by looking around, down at the ground etc. I do not know why the bus driver was in such a hurry to close the doors. The bus was not holding up any traffic as it was the only vehicle in the bus lane at that time. I would have to assume he did not check to see if anyone else wanted to board or alight like other bus drivers have by “actually looking” at the door or his mirror for the alighting door. If not, he would have definitely seen me still in front of the door.

Second, I have to doubt his ability to drive a vehicle that is meant for public transportation due to his slow reaction. As I mentioned above, after my fall, the doors was only opened after fifteen seconds. I have to ask if one is expected to pull and struggle to get one’s leg out on her own in this situation? Never mind that the rubber lining the doors are tight as befitting the purpose of trapping the cold air inside in an air-conditioned bus? I would allow him the excuse that he was shocked at having caused such an accident for being slightly slower in reacting, however fifteen seconds is definitely too lengthy for “being in shock”. If he was to take fifteen seconds to react each time, he most definitely should not be working in the public service line. What if the bus he was driving was involved in a accident?

Also, I strongly suggest you send this bus driver for an eye-checkup. I realize I am sounding a tad too sarcastic here, but this accident is a bit too ridiculous to have happened in the first place. The small number of people (three including me, to be exact) boarding the bus, and he could not see me? It was not like I was hidden or being camouflaged by the greenery. For your information, I was dressed entirely in black.

Last but not least, I have to convey my acute displeasure at the lack of apology I received from the bus driver. When I finally got onto the bus, I received no apology whatsoever from him, and was in fact being stared at by him like I was an animal on display in the zoo. Perhaps I was showing an unpleasant face as I was in pain from falling on my tailbone, but this does not justify his atrocious behavior. Maybe this lack of apology can once again be blamed on his slow reaction? In any case, I did not stand around waiting for a reaction from him as I was still in pain and liked very much to sit down. Hence, I simply made my way to the back of the bus to get a seat.

I regret my use of strong and sarcastic wordings, but I feel anything less would be not able bring my displeasure across adequately enough. I strongly suggest this particular bus driver be sent for a refresher course on the proper way to drive and handle a bus. I have also noticed he drove faster than other bus causing the bus to stop rather abruptly at some stops.

I look forward to hearing from you on the company’s next course of action.

Your sincerely,
Sandy Tan


------
Bloody hell, my palm and butt still hurts....I don't care if they don't do anything, I just want to make my displeasure known. Of course, it would not be too bad on my ego if this guy get a good dressing down because of this. Still....it's two pages long in word. Hahaha, ya, WCOM said you are not supposed to show anger - that it does not help, a calm letter can get your point through...but ya, hahaha...i need to crap so much to get the sufficient length for that calm letter in WCOM. Anger is definitely nicer. 2 pages is definitely a winner over a short 1 page with additional crap in it.